By The Committee on Scholarly Communication with the People's Republic of China
In what The Wall highway magazine calls "the first finished research of Sino-American academic exchanges", this quantity presents info at the numbers and attributes of yankee and chinese language scholars and students who've moved among China and the us when you consider that 1978. This e-book not just offers quantitative info on their fields of research, size of remain, and monetary assets, but in addition discusses such qualitative matters because the difficulties scholars and students have encountered in undertaking their paintings, the adequacy in their education, the "reabsorption" approach that scholars and students from China face upon their go back domestic, and the impression of the trade approach on fields of analysis in either nations.
Read Online or Download A Relationship Restored: Trends in U.S.-China Educational Exchanges, 1978-1984 PDF
Best science & technology books
As one of many first theorists to discover the subconscious fantasies, fears, and needs underlying non secular rules and practices, Freud con be certainly one of the grandparents of the sphere of non secular experiences. but his legacy is deeply contested. How can Freud study in a weather of critique and controversy?
Hundreds of thousands of years in the past, humans enthusiastic about the motions of some wandering 'stars'. this present day, humans understand those gadgets are planets, however the quest to arrive this knowing took hundreds of thousands of years. This name is helping to profit how scientists have came across new planets outdoors the sun procedure, and proceed their look for planets like Earth.
- Understanding the Changing Planet: Strategic Directions for the Geographical Sciences (National Research Council)
- The Paleozoic Era. Diversification of Plant and Animal Life
- Taiga Experiments. 12 Science Experiments in One Hour or Less
- The Future of Law and eTechnologies
Extra info for A Relationship Restored: Trends in U.S.-China Educational Exchanges, 1978-1984
A-8: “The first Soviet students to study in Peking in more than two decades left here in an angry mood this summer after a frenzy of smashing beer bottles and dormitory windows, according to other foreign students…. ” 30. Quoted in Chen, “Governmental Control of International Education,” p. 119. 31. Goldman, “Foreign Students in China,” pp. 135–140. -China Educational Exchanges, 1978–1984 THE CONTEXT FOR ACADEMIC EXCHANGE 29 32. Jay Mathews, “Gateway to America Now Faces the Orient,” The Washington Post, July 1, 1984, p.
Other analysts point to the generally high quality of the Chinese coming to the United States and underscore their positive impact on American graduate programs and on the overall quality of American campus life. Although the United States has already benefited from the academic exchange relationship by acquiring previously unavailable scientific data, greater knowledge of Chinese society, and high-quality foreign students on American campuses, the relationship should not, and probably cannot, be justified purely by short-term effects.
11. Fairbank, America's Cultural Experiment, pp. 131–133. 12. Wang, Chinese Intellectuals, p. 55. 13. , p. 158. 14. , pp. 44–45. 15. Fairbank, America's Cultural Experiment, p. 125. 16. , p. 167. 17. A total of 40,000 Chinese went abroad for study in that same period. Stewart E. , Aspects of Chinese Education, a joint publication of the Center for Education in Asia, the Institute of International Studies, Teachers College, Columbia University, and the East Asian Institute, Columbia University (New York: Teachers College Press, 1969), p.